Thursday, August 14, 2008

Streams in the Desert

Over the course of the summer I have been reading the Streams in the Desert devotional by L.B. Cowman. This book has meant so much to me! About a month ago a painful situation happened to me and I didn't have anywhere to turn but to God. Each day as I read this devotional it is amazing how God speaks so clearly to me through it. Here are some of my favorite excerpts and quotes:

Where would our faith be if not for the trials that test it; or patience, without anything to endure or experience and without tribulations to develop it? ~ selected

There are many blessings we will never receive until we are ready to pay the price of pain, for the path of suffering is the only way to reach them. ~ J. R. Miller

After waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised. ~ Hebrews 6:15

By faith Abraham...obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. ~ Hebrews 11:8

When a person who suffers reaches a point where he can be calm and carefree, inwardly smiling at his own suffering, and no longer asking God to be delivered from it, then the suffering has accomplished its blessed ministry, perseverence has " finish[ed] its work " (James 1:4), and the pain of the Crucifixion has begun to weave itself into a crown. He can now let the circumstances be what they may, and continue to seek only God and His will, with the calm assurance that He is causing everything in the universe , whether good or bad, past or present, to work "for the good of those who love Him" (Rom. 8:28). ~ from Soul Food

When God tests you, it is a good time to test Him by putting His promises to the test and then claiming from Him exactly what your trials have made necessary. ~ a simple old man

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. ~ Psalm 46:1

Our faith is always at its greatest point when we are in the middle of the trial, and confidence in the flesh will never endure testing. Fair-weather faith is not faith at all. ~ Charles Spurgeon

There are TONS more that I could write but I think you get the picture. The Lord has been so faithful to me. I thank Him for providing me with the comfort that I desperately need right now.

The rainbow comes only after the storm...

No comments: