Thursday, January 18, 2007

A few original poems

I'm beginning to feel the aftereffects of my English Composition 102 and British Literature classes kicking in.
In English, we have been discussing poetry since the first day of class. As time goes on I can't tell whether I have acquired a deeper appreciation for poetry or a strong repulsion of it. Some of the poems are quite interesting, yet others would be better off as ashes. Either way, all of this observation of poetry has brought me back to the British Literature class I took in my junior year of high school. Each of us had to write a sonnet and a 20 line poem in iambic pentameter. I decided to share mine for anyone interested in reading them.
The 20 line poem we wrote had to be in iambic pentameter. We were studying The Canterbury Tales, and for an assignment we had to write about ourselves as if we were one of the travelers on their way to Canterbury. Here it is:

There was a girl who was so very sweet.
Much nicer than most anyone you'll meet.
Compassion and love was in her nature,
And her heart was her most tender feature.
Her hair was that of the silkiest brown.
Not ever on her face was there a frown.
In a crowd you would need to raise your hand,
For she was quite short as I understand.
In front of new friends she is somewhat shy.
Really though, she's lively I will not lie.
She tries her hardest to get her work done. (This no longer applies to me. Lol.)
For this people think she's not very fun.
But those who know her the best will tell you
Amusing and funny she is it's true.
She enjoys spending time with family,
Famous for her strange personality.
A good friend will say she's megalicious.
By that people might become suspicious.
If ever in need of a caring friend,
I guarantee, with you her time she'll spend.

The second poem is the sonnet.

"A Peddler's Rose"
A rose for thee this very hour
To show that thou are truly fine,
And bold for thee I still may cower,
But if thou wilt I'll make thee mine.
Your feelings too I must know,
Tell me now and I can try
To give thee all, I will bestow,
As a poor peddler I will not lie.
Please hear the plea of a lowly man,
It's eternal love to thee I'll give
If thou wilt consent I know we can,
Happily together we will live.
"Oh how can I to him tell,
That I've been waiting to hear that wedding bell?!"

No comments: